Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Canon 17-35mm f2.8L

I bought this poor bastard off my old photo editor who had used it for a couple of years. Journalist owned lenses generally aren't the best cared for however this one was in fair condition. The focus motor went out after a year of my owning it, probably three years of daily use into its working life.

I replaced that and, shortly thereafter, while taking a lovely drive up to Alaska I happened to forget it on the roof of my car. I noticed that I had done so when I saw it and my 20D bouncing down the road in my rearview. That of course left it quite broken. I did some extensive repairs replacing several main parts inside the lens and another focus motor and ta-da, it was back and alive for another day.

I still use the damn thing as my main lens. It's never been terribly sharp and I'm sure the 70mph fall didn't help that. It is however a very solid lens and has done me well over the three years I've owned it.

I'd suggest anyone interested in a wide zoom check out the 16-35, much sharper, better construction and weather sealing.

Don't buy the Sigma, I've had two of them, both died very very quickly.

No comments: